West Palm Beach Slip & Fall Attorney
“Slip and fall” is a term used for a personal injury case in which a person slips, steps, or trips and falls, and is injured because of a dangerous condition on someone else’s property. These cases usually fall under the category of “premises liability” claims because slip and fall accidents generally occur on the property (or premises) owned, maintained, occupied, possessed or controlled by someone else – possession or control being the determinative factors. Contact our experienced West Palm Beach slip & fall attorneys for more information.
Dangerous conditions such as torn carpeting, changes in floor levels, poor lighting, narrow stairs, or wet floors can cause someone to slip and hurt him or herself. Slip and fall accidents can also occur when someone trips on broken or cracked public sidewalks, stairs, or escalators. Also, a slip and fall case may take place because of rain, ice, snow, or hidden hazards such as a pothole or a sprinkler sticking out of the ground.
Every slip and fall case is different, but there are some general rules to determine liability. In order to establish liability, it must be shown that:
- The slip and fall was a result of a “dangerous condition,” and the possessor knew or should have known of the “dangerous condition.”
- Also, the injured party should not have been able to anticipate the “dangerous condition,” meaning that the possessor is not at fault if the injury was a result of an obvious danger.
- In order to establish that the possessor had knowledge of the dangerous condition, it must be shown that:
- The possessor created the condition; or
- The possessor knew the condition existed and failed to use reasonable care in correcting it; or
- The condition existed for such a length of time that the possessor should have discovered and corrected it.
It is your responsibility as the injured party to prove that a “dangerous condition” existed, and that the premises owner knew or should have known of the dangerous/defective condition that caused your injuries. The best way to do this is hire an attorney who is experienced in slip and fall cases like the West Palm Beach Slip & Fall attorneys at Celeste Law Firm. If you have been injured in a slip and fall case, contact Celeste Law Firm, immediately – there are time limits to file your case. Our attorneys are willing to go to court for you.