“Auto accident” personal injury lawsuits have become the most common type of “tort.” Those liable in auto accident cases may face criminal punishment, civil punishment, or both. If you are insured, and at fault, your insurance company’s attorneys will usually represent you. However, if you have suffered an injury in an auto accident as a result of someone else’s negligence, you will most likely need to retain you own attorney to represent you.
Here are a few steps to follow if you are injured in an auto accident:
- Call the police regardless of who’s at fault to avoid problems later.
- Get the other driver’s information and any information from witnesses to the accident.
- Get a copy of the police report as soon as it is available.
- Take notes about the incident and your injuries.
- Call your insurance company as soon as you are able.
- Preserve evidence and take photos of the area and damage to both vehicles.
- Go to the emergency room. If you are not feeling immediate pain but more of an ache, understand that your pain may increase over the next several days, at which point you should immediately go to your PCP or the emergency room.
Most auto accidents are a result of negligence, which is when someone acts in a careless way and injures another person. As a result, the careless person is legally liable for any resulting harm, to both you and your vehicle. The key to a successful lawsuit is hiring an attorney who understands what it takes to prove negligence, like the attorneys at Celeste Law Firm.
Under the law, there are four things that you must prove in order to show negligence:
- The other person owed a legal duty of care to you;
- That person failed to fulfill that legal duty through their conduct or actions;
- That person caused an accident or injury to you; and
- As a result, you were harmed or injured in such a way that damages should be awarded.
If you or someone you know has suffered harm as a result of an auto accident, you may be entitled to receive monetary compensation from those who are at fault. What you can recover will depend on the value of your lost wages, medical care, and pain and suffering. Celeste Law Firm has the experience and knowledge needed to win an auto accident case, and will go to court to make sure you get what you are entitled to! Contact our West Palm Beach car accident attorneys today for a free consultation.